This CAIP defines an common identifier for representing an open session with a wallet, including both in-browser session tokens and API-based connection IDs.
Currently, sessions with wallet clients are tracked differently across different architectures: in-browser MetaMask sandboxes instance-specific connections based on origin which are referred to by tokens in the browser, while WalletConnect uses a topic-based pub/sub protocol keyed to a unique topic string, etc. Aligning specific aspects of session state can be hard without shared assumptions about session boundaries and tracking. A minimal assumption is that sessions are tracked by identifiers, and that different actors can update the session accordingly.
Such sections are considered non-normative.
The key words “MUST”, “MUST NOT”, “REQUIRED”, “SHALL”, “SHALL NOT”, “SHOULD”, “SHOULD NOT”, “RECOMMENDED”, “NOT RECOMMENDED”, “MAY”, and “OPTIONAL” written in uppercase in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119
Whenever a CAIP uses the name
SessionIdentifier and has this CAIP in the
required front-matter property, it SHALL be interpreted as reference to this
Notice that there are no code constraints on the token value. This is by design and the value is implementation-dependent.
type SessionIdentifier = string;
Properties of the
SessionIdentifier are as follows:
- It MUST uniquely identify an open and stateful session.
- It MUST identify a closeable session, and it MUST become invalid after a session is closed.
- It MUST remain the same as the identified session’s state changes.
- It MUST be serializable into JSON. Serialization and later deserialization using JSON MUST result in the same value.
- It MUST be generated from a cryptographically random source and include at least 96 bits of entropy for security.
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.
Please cite this document as:
Olaf Tomalka, "CAIP-171: Session Identifiers [DRAFT]," Chain Agnostic Improvement Proposals, no. 171, November 2022. [Online serial]. Available: https://github.com/ChainAgnostic/CAIPs/blob/master/CAIPs/caip-171.md